Wednesday 12 January 2011

'First Impressions' changes with knowledge

My understanding of diplomacy today

When I began the New Diplomacy module in early October 2010 my perception of diplomacy was very limited. But after twelve weeks of lectures and seminars, I can honestly say that I have gained an immense wealth of knowledge and understanding that have enhanced my opinions on the role of diplomacy in the modern world.

I have learnt several new terms such as Summit and Conference Diplomacy, Paradiplomacy and Track I and Track II Diplomacy. And I have developed my understanding of the importance of Back Channels and Front Channel diplomacy. I have a greater awareness of the arguments for and against Public Diplomacy and I have seen how diplomacy have been applied to and influenced core issues such as security, trade and development and the environment. I also realise the wider impact and influence of non-state actors in the modern diplomatic arena.

Diplomacy has evolved for several reasons, for example, to accommodate new issues; to cater for new needs and to utilise advances in technology. However, we have seen and debated at great lengths that, technology can be an asset as well as a liability (wikileaks) within the workings of modern diplomacy. Undoubtedly, New Diplomacy is here to stay, but some aspects of Old Diplomacy such as ‘secrecy’ will never be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment